As the popularity of outdoor living areas continues to grow, the opportunity for contractors to provide their customers with exceptional designs and options is better than ever. Assisting with planning and maximizing the space available will provide your customer with years of enjoyment in their outdoor living space. Here are five points of consideration when planning the outdoor living area.
- Landscape: What is the size of the area you’ll be working in? What are the physical features? Will you be adding a garden area?
- Hardscape: How will your customer be using the backyard space? Do they like to entertain or is it more of a peaceful, serene escape?
- Sun Orientation: At what time of day will the area have the most use? How will you create a shaded area?
- Paths of circulation: What is the walking area and flow moving into the outdoor living space?
- Focal point: There are a number of possible focal points you can create in the outdoor living area, any of which can be the area of focus for your customer. A few examples are:
- Water Feature: Probably the most dramatic way to create a point of focus, a backyard waterfall adds a beautiful and natural escape. There’s a soothing and invigorating quality to the sight and sound of running water.
- Fireplace or fire pit: There’s a mystical enjoyment that happens when gathering around an open fire.
- Outdoor kitchen and dining area: Cooking and eating outside bring a new level of excitement to meals and family gatherings.
- Garden: The natural beauty of a garden brings enjoyment from both the aesthetics and a meditative quality while tending the garden.
With various landscape design software packages available, going the extra mile to provide your customer with their ideal outdoor living area will enhance their satisfaction, as well as enhance your portfolio. What better way to grow your business than with a long list of satisfied customers?